These days, it seems that nearly everyone is stressed out about something. And as if that weren’t enough of a problem, recent news reports are saying that experts have found a link between stress and poor health, and that in the worst cases chronic stress can even alter your genetics.
We all know that it’s important to manage those feelings that keep us from living up to our full potential. Are you searching for ways to manage your stress in the midst of the hustle and bustle of busy days, or in the middle of challenging circumstances? Then the following tips will help you to manage stress, and save yourself from potential long term genetic damage to your body due to chronic stress.
Please note, there are both general best practices to manage stress, and then solutions that are customized to the individual. It helps to learn both. Read on to learn more about both approaches to stress reduction, so that you can manage your wellness in the way that’s right for you!
General solutions to stress less
- Press “pause.” In the moment, it can be easy to let your thoughts and feelings overwhelm you. Stop, take a step back, and reflect on both what’s happening, and why it matters. If you can give yourself a little space to consider what’s happening, you might be able to stop feelings of fear, anger or overwhelm in their tracks.
- Build breaks into your day. It’s a good idea to regularly take a few minutes for yourself. And yes, you can spare the time! A good break will make you more productive, and help you to manage your thoughts. Did you know it takes about 20 minutes to clear your head and cool off when you get upset? Also, you need to take time to relax.
- Learn to say “NO.” It can be hard to set boundaries, and that can lead to stress. But learning to say no will free you to have the downtime you need, and pursue your priorities. Don’t worry, people won’t be as mad as you expect they will.
- Think about what matters to you. When you’re busy, it can be easy to forget why you’re doing all of the hard work. Thinking about your goals can make a task seem less daunting because it can renew your motivation, or help you to realize that what you’re already doing is enough. (It can also give you the courage to say no when you find yourself overwhelmed by work that doesn’t serve your higher priorities.)
- Make time to connect with friends and family. It can really help to phone a friend when you need to decompress. You have to make time to spend with your loved ones. That time will help you feel renewed, find motivation, and even release tension. If you can’t break away at the office, even looking at a photo can help. Or, if you live alone, get a pet. But still try to get out at least once per week.
How you can build a customized stress reduction plan that works with your genetics
What works on an individual level to combat stress? There are a few things you can do. First, it helps to be sure you’re getting enough sleep. Most people need 7-9 hours per night. Tune in to what feels good to you, and make sure you’re setting aside that time for yourself.
Next, be sure to eat right. A good, nutritious diet will help your body have the energy to meet the challenges you face, and to recover from stressful episodes.
If you’re worried about a health condition, or just trying to figure out ways to eat better, finding out what foods work best for your body type will automatically take the uncertainty, guesswork and stress out of trying to eat right. DNA-testing can help you learn more about your genetics, and find a nutrition plan that works for you.
Whatever you do, be sure to also stay active with exercise, and visits to friends and family. And if you continue to feel overwhelmed or start to feel hopeless, be sure to reach out to a healthcare professional.
About Frelii, and an approach to wellness based on your genetics
Frelli harnesses powerful artificial intelligence technology to customize a health and wellness plan suited to the individual. Through a comprehensive suite of services, Frelii takes the guesswork out of health and wellness. We’re are offering a pre-order special on our DNA kit. Our test reviews over 60 million data points then ranks your results by levels of importance which is then turned into an easily digestible report for you. Get the most comprehensive test available to consumers. Order HERE.